Thursday, April 11, 2013

Turd In The Punch Bowl


Just power through

Sometimes you finish a scene and just know in your bones that you nailed it. That it’s a fantastic scene and you’ve really done some of your best work. This is not one of those times. Other times you write a scene and you’re embarrassed to admit you had anything to do with it. This is one of those times.

Why even bother?

About half way through the scene I knew it stunk. Not just stunk but really stunk. I started with a very fuzzy idea for the scene and it went downhill from there. The dialog was dull, the characters were uninteresting, and it was going nowhere. Why did I keep writing? I could have easily stepped away and decided to go at it another day. I’ve done that. I don’t like to do that though. If I walked away in this scene I know I would have an extremely difficult time getting back into it next time. I would be wresting with the scene and not getting the script written.

SFD

Remember that this is the s**tty first draft. It’s supposed to be bad. The goal is to get it written. I think the purpose for the scene is sound. It’s supposed to show how Harlan relates to his family. I think we need this information about him. But this scene is really bad. In the next draft, when we come back to the scene, I’m sure it will be a very different scene. I’m fine with that. I’ll fix it in the next pass. For now I have something there to remind me of what’s supposed to happen. I have something that will remind me what the bad version of the scene looks like.

Punishment

Enjoy the stinker, next time let’s hope it’s a little better.

 

 

 


6 comments:

  1. I get excited when I see you have a new post! I love reading what you have written even if it is not something you're happy with. As a movie script, like you siad, this part is slow, but is IS good insight into Harlan's home life and his relationships.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jess. Even though the scene is lame it's fun to get new stuff out for you to read. I'm glad you like the blog!

      Delete
  2. Wow. I'd say great minds...but, maybe not, lol. Not even ten minutes ago, I finished a scene in my novel and the best I could say about it was, "Well, that got written." I have a little voice in my head that says "I can fix it in post!" But, um, it's a novel. Yeah. But like you, I felt like I needed to write something or I wasn't going to move forward at all. So, here's to you, brother! We wrote something.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm in good company then. This was one of those scenes that was hurt by a lack of development. I really don't understand Harlan's family yet. It shows here.

      Delete
  3. Not bad for a first draft! I like the conversation arc between the family; how conflict between Harlan and Jackson instantly reignites conflict with Harlan and Tanya. The hypersensitivity and overreacting of everyone points to previous unresolved conflicts. This scene reminds me of the family dynamic in Breaking Bad (at least the early episodes).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tim. That's the feel I was going for. I just don't feel like the argument goes anywhere. I want the argument to be incongruous as if each person is having their own argument regardless of what the others are saying.

      Delete